About: Our Story
We enrich our community by giving animals a second chance.
The Michiana Humane Society provides a safe harbor for 1,000+ animals yearly. Most of these animals are surrendered by their owners who can no longer provide care. We also take in strays, abandoned, and unwanted animals found in our service area. Once here, healthy, non-aggressive animals are assured of our care until we find them homes, no matter how long it takes. We are proud to have a 98% live release rate using Asilomar recordkeeping.
With an annual budget of around $620,000, our caring staff and volunteers provide shelter, food, basic medical care, and vaccinations. Since 2015, 100% of our dogs, cats and rabbits are spayed or neutered before being adopted. We are a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization relying solely on private donations; we receive no tax funds to help with our mission.
Our service area includes both LaPorte County in Indiana and Berrien County in Michigan, but our range extends past Chicago to the west, well into Michigan to the north, and to Ft Wayne. If we have an animal in need, we will do what it takes to get it a home.
The Michiana Humane Society & SPCA has been a leader in animal welfare since 1920, when a group of local women in the Long Beach, Indiana area began to collect small amounts of money to care for stray animals. In 1948, the organization incorporated and evolved into the Michiana Humane Society & SPCA, Inc. Over the years volunteers kept the shelter going with private donations and hard work.
The shelter moved to its current location at 722 Indiana Highway 212 in Michigan City in 1997. The shelter was designed to provide plenty of space for our residents, with separate facilities for dogs, cats, and other small animals. A classroom space is used for educational offerings and group activities, and Alynne’s Animal Aid Center, our veterinary suite, provides medical care for the shelter’s animals. Our outside space includes a kennel for dog play adjacent to the building, the three-part Bark Park for meeting dogs, and a three-acre fenced dog park used by the shelter to walk and exercise dogs, and available to the community by membership.